Can You Freeze Almond Milk?
Yes, you can freeze almond milk. Almond milk may be frozen for up to 6 months, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
Almond milk that has been frozen and then thawed separates, and even a whirl in the blender isn't enough to fix it.
This has become a popular milk substitute among people who are health-conscious, vegan, or just like the taste. The biggest issue with almond milk is that it usually comes in huge cartons, making it difficult to finish all of it before it spoils.
If you like a delicious healthy smoothie, you already know that ice makes anything creamier and tastier, which is why freezing almond milk is one of the options.
- Take a Portion — Get your ice cube tray ready. Fill the tray sections with almond milk. Allow for some expansion of the liquid by leaving a little space. You can buy a variety of ice cube tray sizes on Amazon to help you freeze larger amounts.
- Freeze in a flash — Place the tray in the freezer flat and freeze. If you're concerned about items dropping into the tray or spilling, cover it with clingfilm.
- The Last Freeze — Once the almond milk ice cubes have frozen, place them in a freezer bag that has been labeled and dated.
The procedure is similar if you want to freeze your almond milk in greater amounts. Use bigger airtight containers instead of an ice cube tray. You'll have to make sure the boxes can be frozen.
When pouring the almond milk into a container, leave a little opening at the top to allow for the expansion that will occur when the almond milk is stored in the freezer.
Now that you know how to freeze it, here are our three top tips for getting the best results from your almond milk freezing:
- Assess Portion Sizes — When freezing something, you should think about how many portions you typically use and then freeze your almond milk in that quantity. You won't want to refreeze almond milk, so getting it frozen in the correct amount may help you avoid this.
- Blend After Thawing — If you freeze almond milk and then defrost it, it will split. Put it into a blender and whizz it once it has defrosted. This will assist in the re-mixing of the mixture.
- Drink Neat — You'll never be able to fully repair the split milk. Instead of drinking it straight, combine it with another drink, such as a smoothie.
There isn't much information on how much time almond milk can stay frozen, mainly because manufacturers don't recommend it due to the drastic change in texture and quality that frozen almond milk may have. Any frozen almond milk should be used within 3 to 6 months after the date of freezing, as a general rule.