Can You Freeze Almond Milk? Short answer, yes you can freeze almond milk. Almond milk may be frozen for up to 6 months, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
Almond milk that has been frozen and then thawed separates, and even a whirl in the blender isn't enough to fix it.
This has become a popular milk substitute among people who are health-conscious, vegan, or just like the taste. The biggest issue with almond milk is that it usually comes in huge cartons, making it difficult to finish all of it before it spoils.
If you like a delicious healthy smoothie, you already know that ice makes anything creamier and tastier, which is why freezing almond milk is one of the options.
- Take a Portion — Get your ice cube tray ready. Fill the tray sections with almond milk. Allow for some expansion of the liquid by leaving a little space. You can buy a variety of ice cube tray sizes on Amazon to help you freeze larger amounts.
- Freeze in a flash — Place the tray in the freezer flat and freeze. If you're concerned about items dropping into the tray or spilling, cover it with clingfilm.
- The Last Freeze — Once the almond milk ice cubes have frozen, place them in a freezer bag that has been labeled and dated.
The procedure is similar if you want to freeze your almond milk in greater amounts. Use bigger airtight containers instead of an ice cube tray. You'll have to make sure the boxes can be frozen.
When pouring the almond milk into a container, leave a little opening at the top to allow for the expansion that will occur when the almond milk is stored in the freezer.
Tips for Freezing & Thawing Almond Milk
- To freeze almond milk, pour it into an airtight container, leaving some room for the liquid to expand as it freezes. Label the container with the date so that you can keep track of how long it has been in the freezer.
- When you are ready to use the almond milk, remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator to thaw. Thawing the almond milk in the refrigerator is the best way to ensure that it retains its flavor and texture. It may take a few hours for the milk to fully thaw, depending on the amount that you froze.
- Once the almond milk has thawed, give it a good shake or stir to help it mix back together. You may notice that the texture is slightly different than fresh almond milk, but it should still be safe to consume.
- It is important to note that once almond milk has been thawed, it should not be refrozen. This is because the freezing and thawing process can cause the milk to spoil more quickly, and refreezing it can damage the delicate protein and fat molecules even further.
The good news is that almond milk can be frozen for up to 6 months. This means that if you have a surplus of almond milk or if you want to stock up on it, you can safely store it in the freezer for several months without it spoiling.